Saturday 29 August 2015

Moroccan style lamb kebabs with a roasted onion, rocket and pecorino salad

Hey guys! Today's recipe originally comes from an Ainsly Harriott recipe book called "Low fat meals in minutes." This is honestly one of my favourite recipe books because the food is healthy, low fat and often low calorie and I love to create these dishes for my family. I have combined two of his dishes, his "Moroccan style lamb kababs" and paired it with his "roasted onion, rocket and pecorino salad" and I found they worked well together. There is quite a lot of onion however so I wouldn't recommend if you are a fan of it! I have adapted the recipe as usual and discovered what I found works best. This recipe is for four.



For the kebabs you will need:
500g boned shoulder or leg of lamb (note, this means boneless not still with the bone attached. Don't mean to be patronising but my dad got very confused!)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of lemon juice (I missed this out and it still tasted great)
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of paprika.
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tablespoon of harrisa
1 small red onion, unpeeled
1 lemon
Salt and pepper
fresh coriander (optional to serve)
Metal kebab sticks (I used wooden ones and as long as you soak them for a long time they are fine!) 

For the salad you will need:
12 button onions, halved (I used shallots and they worked perfectly) 
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of balsamic viniger
25g of parmesan or pecorino
small bag of rocket

First of all (if you are using wooden sticks) soak them in cold water. Cut the lamb up into small kebab pieces and then place all the herbs, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil into a mixing bowl and mix the lamb into it. Aninsly says to leave this for two hours at least or overnight, I just left it for as long as possible, as I prepared the other ingredients and this was fine. However if you do have time and want more flavour, do let it marinate!


Now half the onions for the salad and heat the oven at 190 degrees Celsius. Drizzle over the olive oil and one tablespoons of the vinegar and put in the oven for 25-30 minuets in a baking tray.


Now cut up the lemon for the kebabs. You want to cut it into 8. Then peel the onion leaving the root end and cut into 8 wedges also so that the stay together at each end so it looks like this.

Then what you want to do is preheat the grill at a high temperature and assemble the kebabs. Try and put the onion on as best as possible, I found that actually it often just fell off and didn't stay on the kebab. Some of it I just put into the grill separately and put it on the plates later.



Now Grill the kebabs for about fifteen minuets. You can check they are done by using a food thermometer and seeing if it gets up to at least 70 degrees Celsius. 

While they are cooking, arrange the rocket on each plate and grate the parmasan or pecorino on top. By my timing, the onions were now done so I took those out and put them with the salad on each plate too. 

Then put the kebabs on the plate and voilĂ  you are done! 

I hope you enjoyed this post! Tell me if you give the recipe a go!
Lots of love
Eleanor x

No comments:

Post a Comment